(Note: Totally meant to post this on Friday but you know how moving is… let’s pretend it’s still Friday)
It’s moving day!!!!!!!
This feels somewhat like the end of an era in many ways. This apartment was my very first “big girl” apartment. I moved in less than 2 months after graduating from college, and I had no idea how to do basically anything. Me trying to figure out how much personal property coverage I should get from my rental insurance company was comical. I thought graduating from college and getting a job would make me an adult but no. This apartment made me an adult. It was the first place in the world that was completely mine, and it was totally my responsibility to take care of it. It was frustrating as hell some days… but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It was the perfect first apartment for a single girl living in a city (My friend Dara referred this as the”total rom-com period” of my life… though it wasn’t actually all that glamorous).
I’m going to miss this apartment. It was my home through some really major life changes! I met and fell in love with my soul mate living here. I started running, I ran my first race, my first half marathon, and then my first marathon too!
This was also the apartment where I brought Fig home from the shelter. I felt like I had built this wonderful loving home, and I just needed to share that with an animal who needed one. He is my favorite bargain buy of all time ($50 from the Washington Animal Rescue League… he was a total steal!!)
The apartment is also in an amazing location / neighborhood, had a sweet walk in closet, and was the best apartment I found that I could still afford!
But in life, all chapters must eventually come to an end, and I am so excited to see what my next chapter has in store for me!! So in the spirit of keeping things light and in perspective here’s a couple things that I will definitely NOT miss about this apartment:
1. The kitchen. Sailboats have bigger kitchens. Having me, Mike, and Fig in this bathroom gives me an anxiety attack. I also have this really little stove / oven combo and there is a small space between the edge of the stove top and the wall. It’s like a vortex for food. I have dropped more crap down in that little space (that is too small for me to get my hand in). Infuriating.
2. The bathroom. It’s so small the door actually hits the toilet when you open / close it. One of my movers was kind enough to point that out to me when moving my stuff in. Hey, thanks man. I also dropped an entire jar of microwavable hot wax in there (you think you’re saving yourself a little money and look what happens). It’s never really been the same since then.
3. The Community Laundry Room. The people who work in my building rock. The people who live in it on the other hand… do not. I once received a typed note on my dryer informing me that I was a “spoiled brat” because I accidentally left my laundry too long. Also, community laundry rooms always suck no matter how awesome people are.
Can’t wait to post pictures of the new apartment soon!! ❤
The big day is Friday and I’m only going moderately crazy so far. I HATE mess. My freshman year roommate once told me that I was one of the most anal people she has ever met. I feel to this day that was a slight exaggeration but I will stand by the fact that I like things clean. I don’t really seem what is wrong with that. I don’t just other people who don’t, but you can believe that my space is going to be clean and clutter free. So right now my apartment looks like this…
Anyways I’m losing my mind a little bit. In addition, I’ve literally had 46 doctors appointments this week (just kidding… it was like two but it’s putting major stress on my week), and my car decided to be a total asshole and one of the headlights went out. COME ON BUDDY! In other news, not a single garage I can find is open past 6 pm. WHAT THE HELL? PEOPLE WORK MAN!
But if you think this week has been hard on me then you clearly haven’t considered how it’s impacting this guy:
He’s been very unsettled by all this packing. On one hand he’s be able to explore new territories like the back of the coat closet, and he fulfilled a lifelong dream of sitting on a shelf of the big bookcase, but on the other he seems very distressed that I’m going to forget him. He’s been attached to me while I’m packing, which has proved hazardous for both him and me. The other night we were snuggling on the floor of my closet (don’t you judge us) and we had a long talk about how there was nothing to be afraid of and mommy was never going to leave him. I don’t think he bought it. He’s been very suspicious every time I leave, and even more vocal than normal. I also cleaned out the storage under my bed, which meant his kitty carrier came out. He did not like this even a LITTLE BIT.
No promises about how much blogging I’m going to get done this week but at least you have new apartment pics to look forward to!
Happy Friday to all my favorite bloggie buddies! I am particularly excited this Friday, and I have lots of totally awesome thoughts floating around in my head that you should know about!
1. ONE WEEK TO MOVING DAY!!!! My boxes are being delivered today, so this next week is about to get crazy. I cannot wait. I think Fig knows that we’re moving too because he’s gotten super destructive in the last week or so. He spends more of his day obliterating the blinds (I am totally going to get charged for that). He also has taken to knocking over any container of liquid available and shattering glasses all over the floor. He is such a joy. Now I’m trying to decide what color schemes to go with in the new place! There will be new bedding in the bedroom and a new bathroom to think about! For the bathroom, I like everything to revolve around the shower curtain. Right now I’m considering this one, this one, or this one.
2. Quick update on my friend! I mentioned earlier this week that a friend of mine was in the hospital. I am thankful to report that after a long week, he has been released from the hospital, but returned home with his family for rehabilitation. Please please please continue to send him good vibes, thoughts, and prayers. He is such a fighter. I went to see him off at the airport yesterday and you would never believe had been through such an ordeal, he was so calm and collected. I would be a complete nightmare in such a situation.
3. and finally… HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN????? That is right boys and girls, Georgetown Homecoming weekend is UPON US!!!! I may not have expressly said this before but I am a proud Georgetown Hoya baby!! When I decided to stay in DC after graduation, I felt it was important to establish a life outside of Georgetown. I don’t go out to the same bars anymore or go to events meant for students (this cannot be said for all alumni let me just tell you). But Homecoming is MEANT for alumni (even though I totally loved it in undergrad too). A lot of my college girlfriends are all scattered over the country now, and this is one of the only times of the year we all get together. I cannot wait to have the weekend to be with them!!! Here are some pictures of the fabulosity of Homecomings past for your viewing pleasure 🙂
Yes it would appear I wear the same shirt every year to Homecoming. Gonna wear it tomorrow too… so take that! You can also see the sweet evolution of my hair color here. I thought blond on top and basically black on the bottom was a super good look for me at the time. The Jersey girl died hard in me. Happy to say we’ve reached a much more natural hue these days. Although I was just talking about wanting to dye my hair, so maybe my “evolution” is just in my head.
Anyways, it’s going to be a great weekend catching up with old friends, reconnecting, and remembering how much I loved Georgetown (not that I ever really forgot). Mike is coming too this year!! He has not met some of my college friends yet (that might give you an idea how often I see some of them) so I’m excited for him to meet the whole gang. My only goal is not get sick from drinking. I’m pathetically weak, and for that reason I don’t drink much anymore. I’m almost 25, it’s time to get through a day of Homecoming without making myself ill.
Have a fantastic weekend 🙂