Ok ok so I promised on Friday there would be a Monday post… but I didn’t say what time on Monday!! To be fair, I made my to-do list in the car on Saturday but I’ve been enjoying a blissful holiday weekend in Charlottesville with Mike’s family complete with a gold medal winning nap, a great run, and woohoo a MASSAGE. More details about my epic weekend this week 🙂
But I did not want this Labor Day holiday to pass us by without setting things up for the fall! Before we get to that though I have a big announcement… drum roll please… POTR IS MOVING! That is right folks, moving on up and over the river to Arlington, Virginia. I am still working in the city, but will be a only a couple stops on the metro outside the city. For those not familiar with DC (or those who just love analogies) Arlington is to DC as Manayunk is to Philadelphia or Hoboken is to New York City. Please refer to this amazing video for a glimpse of what my new neighborhood will be like 🙂
While I have simply adored living right in the city for the past two years, I am thrilled about this move! The kitchen in the new place is so much more boss… POTR recipe posts are going to be 100 million times better. Anyways that’s my exciting news!! Thus, the fall 2012 to do list reflects that a bit. I also included some more “personal” goals (my summer to do list was mostly just a bunch of stuff / activities. My fall list has some areas of personal improvement too… whoot whoot). Here it goes 🙂
- Register for a spring marathon and get a training plan – that’s right! Making the plunge to run another marathon. I am thinking probably the Rock’n’Roll USA right here in my home city! I am also thinking about a very different training method… the Hanson Plan! More on that later!
- Try rock climbing – this was on Mike’s summer list and we never got around to it but I really want to try this. It looks really cool but we’ll have to be careful how we fit this in the budget.
- Develop a home yoga practice – As part of “Operation Spend Less Money” I need to start making some tough cuts. I have to cancel my membership at my current studio with my impending move, so I’m hoping to use this opportunity to develop a home practice which is… you guessed it… FREE.
- Become a morning exerciser (and stick to it!) – This is just something I think I need to start doing to prepare myself for the rest of my life. I am committed to exercise / fitness / and RUNNING so I think this is a good move for me. I like getting up early, now I just have to get myself out the door.
- Floss four times per week – This makes me sound gross but seriously I have excellent oral hygiene habits! The only problem is I have bonded retainers on the insides of my teeth so flossing is a PAIN (I have to use those special threader things). I don’t do it as often as I should so I figured a solid goal was a good start.
- Make more running dates with friends and learn to love the running club. Also, try at least one new running group – Since this summer I’ve been in kind of a rut with running. I can feel myself slowly starting to claw my way out of it and I’m really excited to attack it full force this fall. If you need me? I’ll be running. But I also need to get over some lingering insecurities I have about running. For that, I’ve gotta learn to love the group.
- Try a barre class – I always thought these classes looked fun but they are expensive as all get out in DC. $25 for a single class????? Surely you jest. But I saw online that Lululemon in Arlington is offering a free barre class on Friday evenings. I’m hoping to check that out.
- Go to NYC to visit friends – Didn’t do it this summer… need to do it this fall. Right now I’m planning to go up for the weekend of the NYC Marathon!
- Stick to the budget (NO SHOPPING) – I have developed quite a nasty shopping habit over the course of my existence (I will not apologize for my love of shoes). I don’t need anymore clothes or shoes… I need to stick to my budget.
- Take a day trip to Kings Dominion – Mike really wanted to do this over the summer and we just couldn’t make it happen for him. I really want to make sure we do this in the fall for him!
- Finish Anna Karenina before the movie comes out (and then go see the movie with Sarah K) – This book is long as hell. I’m reading it on my Kindle and I have read 233 Kindle pages. Do you know how many there are total? OVER 13,000!!!!!!! Just confirmed on Wikipedia, the actual text is 864 pages. But it’s pretty good so far. As long as I can keep all the Russian names straight I think this is gonna be fun. Plus there’s movie popcorn at the end of the road here. I ❤ popcorn.
- Master a new cooking skill – Don’t know what yet… but it’s time I start tackling some tougher stuff in the kitchen. Plus with my new kitchen, I’ll have so much more space to play!!!
- Host a dinner party (or a brunch party!) – I’m thinking a house-warming in the new apartment 🙂
- Go to as least three free fun / social events in DC or VA – Sticking with Operation Spend Less Money on this one. There is so much going on in DC. I just don’t take the time to research / find out about stuff ahead of time.
- Research and consider adult Spanish language classes – I used to be extremely proficient in Spanish (I might not go all the way to fluent but I was pretty close!) I haven’t used it in years though and it really is such an important skill to have. I’d love to find an adult class I can take to brush up on my skills (especially conversational skills) We’ll see if it fits in the budget though.