I feel like eating too much and vacation have become almost synonymous these days but I’m determined to find a way to break that cycle. I do think vacation is a time for some special treats (like chocolate cake on fourth of July or key lime pie at the Sugar Shack) but if I go too overboard I just end up miserable! On my trip to NC I really tried to focus on some healthy eating strategies.
Here’s what went well:
- Listening to my hunger/satiety cues. I tried to be really diligent about this… Eat when I’m hungry, stop when I am satisfied. For the most part it went really well. There were several times where I noticed that I “wanted” to eat more but I was actually satisfied and ready to stop eating. I do really like to eat so I need to be careful to slow down and check in with myself.
- Eating actual meals. Sometimes on vacation I can just snack the day away. Or sometimes I found myself saying I want to try and push lunch off to later so I’ll have a snack now. This just leads me to overrating non nutritious foods. On this trip I was a lot better about starting the day with a healthy hearty breakfast and packing a healthy sandwich for lunch at the beach. I ate less and felt more satisfied…. Imagine that. I was also able to control myself better around unhealthy foods because I wasn’t really hungry.
- Keeping up with daily workouts but also being flexible. Working out makes me feel so good I never “take a vacation” from that. Mike and I went running and to the gym for workouts pretty much every day. It was so unimaginably hot though so I found running to be a little challenging. I intended to do a ten mile long run on saturday morning but I just couldn’t face 85 degree heat at 6:30 am. I slept in and promised myself I wouldn’t beat myself up over it. That was a major accomplishment for me 🙂
What I still need to focus on:
- Dinner parties with hors d’oeuvres. I don’t know why this is such a hang up for me but I routinely overeat in situation where hors devours are served. On Friday night we had a BBQ at the house with a few of my parents friends and I was trying to be really conscious of not eating too much before the actual meal was served. Friday actually went pretty well. I didn’t eat a ton of appetizers and then I cut back on my main meal a little so I didn’t feel too full. However, Saturday my dad, brother, mike and I returned home from golfing to find some unexpected company had stopped by. My mom had put out cheese and crackers and I was hungry. I totally ruined my dinner by eating too much! Need to come up with some new strategies for this.
- Drinking enough water. I usually drink a lot of water but on vacation I never do unless I’m working out. I ended up drinking a ton more diet soda than I normally drink too, which isn’t the end of the world but it’s not the best either. I need to think up some new strategies here. I brought my nalgene but it never made it out of my bag 😦
Well this is another week so here’s to moving forward and feeling good!! This is a process so I don’t expect things to be perfect from the start. I think it’s going really well for now 🙂