As unbelievable as it may seem… I made it through my marathon training!
I have been training for 18 weeks… I have run almost 500 miles to prepare (it will be 525 miles TOTAL after the race on Saturday) including two half marathons, three 10-milers, one 8K, and one 5k. I have had great runs, crappy runs, runs ending in victory, and runs ending in a pile on the ground with leg cramps. I even cried once for two miles of an 18 mile run. I have had days where I felt like an amazing, unstoppable, female athlete phenomenon, and other days where I have resigned to quitting this whole thing and crawling into bed with a gallon of ice cream. This has been a ridiculous and crazy journey and in just FIVE DAYS I will be able to say I ran a marathon.
Here’s me after yesterday’s Parkway Classic 10-Miler in Old Town, Alexandria.
Final Race Pre-Marathon!
So here’s the big question… what does one do to prepare for 26.2 daunting miles? Here are a few things I’ll be doing to prepare.
- Running – I am only running three miles today, two on Wednesday, and two on Thursday. I will be running those at a VERY easy pace. I just want to shake out my muscles and keep my body moving.
- Eating – I’ll be upping my calorie intake a bit this week to prepare. I’ll be focusing on healthy carbohydrates (whole grains, starchy veggies, and lots of fruit) and lean proteins.
- Drinking – TONS of water / other hydration materials. No alcohol (sad face).
- Sleeping – Going to make a concerted effort to get at least 7 hours a night for the entire week. Hopefully I can even get 8 a couple nights. I want my body primed and ready to go and sleeping is probably the most important part of any recovery.
- Other exercising – I plan on scaling back a bit in terms of my other workouts. I will still teach my spinning class on Tuesday but I may skip the Pilates class I normally take at lunch. I normally lift weights about three times per week, I may only go once this week and ease up on my weights a bit. This is certainly not the week to be sore from lifting! I think I’m going to try and focus mostly on yoga this week. That will help me stretch out pre-race and also keep my mind focused and relaxed.
- Packing – oy. Flight leaves EARLY on Friday morning so I need to start thinking about packing. Probably will write a post about it so more to come on that soon!